Words With Waiting: Jesse Ledoux, Artist

Words With Waiting
Love Is In The Air Interviewee: Jesse Ledoux
Interviewer: Gambit

Among all the cds that deck my shelves, the ones with covers done by Jesse Ledoux are the ones I like to display at the top of each pile. You've seen his work on posters and CD covers of such bands as The Shins, Pedro The Lion, Spoon, Elliot Smith and just about every big indie name you can think of.

His paintings and drawings are very detailed, and usually display strange creatures, places and beings in a cartoon like manner, though heavilly detailed and filled with things you might notice every time you take another look at it.


-First of all, could you give us some information on how you got into art? What was the first poster/ CD cover that you worked on?

Get Here And StayI’ve always enjoyed drawing and making art as a kid. When I went to college, art took the backseat to the text books. After a while I remembered how much I enjoyed art (and unfortunately it also reminded me how much I didn’t like the text books). And that’s when my grades plummeted. The first CD project that I really worked on was 764-HERO’s “Get Here and Stay”. John Atkins, the singer/guitarist in the band, did the paintings and I designed it. The first poster I did was for a show with Karp and Silkworm at the University of Washington. While there are certainly some things I’d do differently now, I’m still happy with them. Well, come to think about it, that poster IS pretty embarrassing. I’m still happy with the CD though.

-Do you enjoy listening to most of the bands you do album covers these days? What tunes do you usually listen to these days? Or while your working?

It’s incredibly important to know what the band I’m working for sounds like, however, I’ve found it difficult to listen a band WHILE I’m working on a project for them. Lately I’ve found that noisier bands like godheadSilo or Hella are GREAT when starting a project, while jazz, like Charles Mingus or Ornette Coleman, are better when I’m working on the final artwork.

-I managed to find the posters you did for bands and events on the internet and at some local record stores (Yay Waterloo.) Right above the computer I'm typing this interview on is your horsehead SXSW 2004 poster, and to my right is a smaller version (I assume) of your Shins Showbox poster. I like all of your covers and posters, but my favorite work of yours is the The Shin's Chutes Too Narrow CD, especially the booklet that came along with it. Are you proud of a certain cover you did?

Chutes Too Narrow

I always try to learn something new with each project, and experiment with different techniques. Because of this, I’m quite happy with a lot of things I’ve done, as they remind me of that new thing I tried. I think the ones I’m MOST happy with are the ones I took the biggest chances on. That Shins package is one such case. There was a chance that the die cuts wouldn’t work out well, or it just wouldn’t look right. However, I had a good feeling it would work. I took that leap of faith, and am happy with where it landed.

-Are you doing work on any posters related to South By Southwest 2006? I always look forward to the promotional posters and cards they hand out around the area.

SXSW 06

I recently finished a new poster for Suicide Squeeze’s SXSW showcase. Oh! I also did a different poster for a party they’re co-hosting (I nearly forgot about that one!). That’s 2 posters total out of probably 10 kazillion that will be made for the event.

-You've done lots of CD covers and posters for lots of band. If there was one band or musician that approached you to do a cover, which group or singer would get you the most excited about? What would you want to draw for their cover?

Six Part Seven

I hate to say it, but the more I like a band, the more scared I am to do their album art. Last year, I did several CD packages for small bands who were just putting out their first release. It was great! Having never heard them before, I didn’t have the chance to be nervous about working with them. Probably the most difficult project would be to do something for a band I really REALLY like. In times like that, I tend to over-think things and not trust my gut.

-Are there any certain artists who've inspired some of your work? Who are your favorites and which ones have influenced you the most?

Electric Six PosterMusical artists or visual artists? I think both disciplines are a huge inspiration to me in very different ways. Visual artists are inspiring to me for obvious reasons. They create images that can give me ideas of how to approach my own work differently. Musicians can be inspiring in a very different way. The sounds of a certain sound can evoke images in my head that I’d never be able to think of if I tried. Plus, with musical inspirations, there’s no fear of my work looking too much like the work that inspired me.

-On your website, you posted a flipbook cartoon you did with animation cells, featuring a creature who gets his eye ripped out by a larger being. Can we expect to see any more animations in the future?

Flipbook Still

I’d sure like to, however, as you can see from the flipbook cartoon, I clearly have no idea what I’m doing. If only I could find somebody who loves animating things, hates creating characters, and doesn’t mind my uptight pickyness. Unfortunately, I think I’ll have a better chance of finding a volcano in my back yard.

-Can you tell us of any future projects that you are doing? Maybe a new CD cover or poster?

I have a couple projects I’ve got to keep a lid on (yet are exciting nonetheless!), but one great project that I CAN spill the beans on is the stuff I’ll be doing for Suicide Squeeze’s 10th Anniversary. There’ll be a double CD (maybe even triple?!?) with best-of’s, rarities, and unreleased tracks of all the bands who have been on the label. And in addition to that, they are doing a series of shows in Seattle and each night will have it’s own limited edition poster.

-Your drawings are unique, since they feature strange places and weird creatures. Is there any reason that you like to draw these type of creations? The purple, 12 legged, eye beam creature with the gas coming out of his ears is my personal fave.

Butatsch-ah-ilgs

I like drawing the weird imaginary things more than real-life things because there are so many other people who are far better at drawing the real-life things a lot better than me. If you can’t beat ‘em, avoid ‘em!

-I've tried imitating your style a few times on doodles I'd make on my homework or school notes, but I can never really get it right. Do you have any tips for any readers who might be trying to draw a piece like you do? Any tools or exercises that make the whole process easier?

While I’m flattered you’d want to draw like me (though I DO question your sanity), I’d suggest finding a style that you ARE able to do with relative ease. It’s bound to be more unique, and you’ll be a lot happier with the end result, knowing it’s something wholly yours.

-Is there any type of media besides music that you'd like to apply your artistic skills too? Maybe a movie poster or a cartoon show? I'd love to see a series that ventures into Ledouxville every episode.

Suicide Squeeze Tour Poster

Although I really enjoy working on music related projects, it’s the projects that AREN’T a CD or a poster that I really find exciting. It forces me to think about things in different ways, and presents new and unique challenges. I’ve done a few book covers, a couple bike helmets, and other miscellaneous tidbits, and those have been a lot of fun.


---

Look for Ledoux's work on the Suicide Squeeze project and many others on these websites:

Related Links:
Ledouxville, Jesse's Homepage

Flipbook Animation
Ledoux's Shop For Prints And T-Shirts
Suicide Squeeze Records
Sup Pop Records

3 Comments:

Blogger Gambit898 said...

Extra special thanks to Jesse Ledoux for being so kind to do the interview.

10:24 PM  
Blogger ULI/KFP said...

Quite frankly man, that is awesome. A great interview, and Jesse was very forthcoming in his answers. Did you do this by email?

Neato art too, I'll have to check out his website!

I could totally see a weird graphic novel by this guy, or a story book with large illustrated plates.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Kelli Jensen said...

Great Interview. I am doing a report on him and a poster mimicking Jesse's style. I really enjoy his work and it is nice to learn more about him! Thanks!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home