They call me... Az

A brief introduction

Greetings all!

Az or Azraelswrd is the name I use when bouncing around on the 'Net. A rather strange and awkward silence tends to precede the inevitable question:

-- Why Az?


To be honest, Azraelswrd was not my first choice on a username for my college email address. It was really Azrael, but that was already taken. But the question has been posed -- Why Azrael?

As you may have guessed (since we're all here for the same thing of sorts) it was because of a comic book or more specifically a character by that name.

-- Azrael was introduced to the world by DC Comics in 1992 in the 3-part miniseries "Sword of Azrael". I'll talk more about him later. Today it's all about me! OH YEAH!!!

So Az, why not just use 'SwordAzrael'? What happened to the "O"?

Good questions! (says the guy interviewing himself...) I actually considered going with the "SwordAzrael" moniker but I wanted the subject (in this case, Azrael) to be the first thing mentioned. Thus Azrael Sword it was. But that still doesn't explain the "o"mission. Heh heh, recall that this was for a university database and it only accepted up to 10 characters in length.

Yup... it came down to numbers and the vowel had to go. Lingually speaking, most words can still function without vowels as the purpose is merely to make an open sound between the consonants... GAH! Linguistics flashback!!! (You know, I was rather cunning back in my alma mater...)

Ta-Da! Azraelswrd was born! [applause]

Of course, why base a name on a comic book character? Simple -- I love comic books. No real surprise coming from a kid who came into comics during the haydays of the Cold War, Ronnie Reagan and cocaine... I'm obviously talking about 1983. (Yeah, I'm a tad old...)

It all began when my sister and I went with our father to go and get the Sunday newspaper at the local Circle-K (what would be considered a convenience store). I noticed some colorful shiny things on the magazine stand and as I approached, I was greeted with an array of amazement. I had discovered comic books!

Being the kid that I was, I did what came naturally whenever I saw something I wanted -- I asked my parent to go and get it for me. My dad relented and bought some issues I picked, almost at random. The same for my sister. Over time, I continued my interest in the subject by developing my artistic urges. Sketching, painting, and modeling began anew.

My tastes have changed over time, but the core impulse has remained the same. Well, I've bored you enough with my tale. Go out and read a book. DO IT!!!

[Editorial Note: My first comic books were actually Chinese manga, but I don't remember what they were called. I think they were my parents and were given to us [my sister and I] as a means of learning how to read and write in Chinese.]

1 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

I figured it would make the most sense to get that out of the way first. Plus it leads into my next article, which is what books I first got into.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home