Batman Mini-Reviews: Issues 224 - 227

Hello everyone, and welcome to the my topic giving mini-reviews on the greatness that The Batman comic. I have about 400 Batman comics available to read and review, thanks to a friend who trusts me with them. All he asked in return was to organize them for him. Anyways, I decided to start where I was told that the chees...er, campiness ended, and the dark, plot oriented things began, which is near the end of the first year of the 1970's. August 1970 is the exact month.

Well, I'll just cut right into the mini-review, and if you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask. Just be aware that I don't have every single Batman issue, and I don't have anything outside of the regular Batman comics. My friend thinks that he has more, he just doesn't know where in storage they may be.

Anyways, here's the first mini-review:

Oh, and needless to say, this DOES contain spoliers.

Batman Issue 224: Carnival of the Cursed

Let's see. It's about Batman going to New Orleans to capture the people who took out his favorite Jazz player, and stop their plan to defile his grave by stealing the trombone that was burid with him. Kinda thought it was interesting to have it set in New Orleans, and to find out that Batman's into jazz. I'm not, but still, I had no idea what kinda music he was into. The way he escaped from that boat motor was also pretty nice.

That said, it overall wasn't all that interesting, and I'd really like to see a an interesting crazy villan like the Joker or The Riddler, or someone else. What can I say? I actually usually find the crazy named psychos more interesting than Mr. Invincible under any circumstance except for random times just to make you think that he's actually somewhat vulnerable...I mean Batman. Hope to see one soon.

Rating: 3.0 Mediocre, or just Okay. Really hoping to see some better ones out there soon.

Well, hope that you enjoyed reading this. I really would like to hear some comments, as this would be a little boring without them. Even if it's a simple "I liked it" or whatnot, it'd be great.

P.S. I'll try to start Spider-Man too real soon, only with that, I'm going to have to start somewhere in the middle of 1979. I apologize for this, but the thing is, I have to work with what is available to me.

Ok, now onto the second issue I read, It's a double-feature, since it's actually two different stories in the same comic, which Batman seems to do quite a lot.

Batman: Issue 225-Wanted for Murder-One

First of all, I guessed from the beginning that judging from the title, this is part of a multi-part issue,(unfortunately, it turned out it was just half the issue, and that's it.) and usually when the main hero is framed, it makes things pretty interesting, but some reason, I feel a bit of dispair if it goes on for so long, not that it stops me from enjoying the story nonethelesss, mind you. After all, I do really love Spider-Man, and when I think about it, I've actually read issue 90 something to issue 194 or so.

Anyways, it really shocked me when Batman revealed that Jory killed himself. I really thought the person dressed as Batman was Jory himself, and he might have had a body double or something.

4.0 Geniunely good and interesting.

That said, I'm still looking for Batman to go after one of the psycho villans like The Joker or The Riddler. Hell, even The Penguin would be nice.

Part 2 of issue 225: Shutdown on York Street

This one was about Batman seeking the truth about a driving race-related death. Interesting how Batman knows right off the back that Alex didn't actually mean to kill Vic. (BTW, Vic, that reminds me of the greatness that is Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, but eh, that's a whole other hobby.)

Side notes:

I never knew that Powerfully was actually a word :P

Ok, onto Batman issue 226: The Man with ten eyes.

Started off kinda interesting with Batman getting his ass handed to him by a blind man, and then they showed what happened before the intro moment, about how The Man With 10 Eyes lost the eyes on his face, and gained 10 eyes on his fingers, which made things more interesting. This sorta thing is kinda nice when they just do it once in a while. Really liked Batman's idea of blinding the villan in one...well, hand.

Batman: Zapped me--Right smack on the button!

Side notes:

Finally, Alfred shows up! Was beginning to think that he didn't exist in the comics or something, as I've heard thay Harley Quinn didn't exist in the comics till she appeared in Batman TAS.

I remember the one episode where Batman became blind when The Penguin stole this one jet in BatmanTAS, that was a great episode, wasn't it?

And btw, even though the main villan is this issue is a vietnam vet and all, why doesn't he have the intelligence to tie him up before he kills him with that pink blast in the eyes?Honestly, that little bit knocks down the score I give for this issue.

One more thing: who the heck is Aunt Harriet?

Oh, and yes, there's a second part, but it felt like nothing but filler, so I won't even comment on what i skimmed through it. Seemed pretty boring
rating: 3.5 not half bad.

Kinda interesting to hear Batman mention Robin, and it makes me wonder where all the Robins are in this timeline.

Personallly, I think that Jack should have gotten more than manslaughter because he ****ed up 2 lives there. I don't know what they could have given him, but they could have given him something of a huger charge.

Overall: 4.0: Genuinely good and interesting, but I'm still hoping for a psycho villan.

Now onto the next, and final review for 1970:

Batman: Issue 227 The Demon of Gothos Mansion

To start off, something seemed really cool and creepy about the cover, and once again, Alfred is in the picture, only now Batman is helping a friend of his out. The demon Ballk, wasn't he in TAS as well? Maybe I'm mistaken, but still, it sounds familiar. This is definitely supposed to be a halloween episode, that's for sure, unfortunately, though, Ballk never showed up.

Rating: 2.5 Nice cover, and that's about it. Kinda regret not just skimming over it.

There also was a little extra bit with something called Casey the Cop, and god was it corny! IF anything, this crap is holding Batman back.

Sorry that this one's so short, but hey, this was a really plain, boring issue to me. I'm sure that the author wasn't aiming for that, but there was nothing really special about this at all.

1 Comments:

Blogger ULI/KFP said...

Nice column! In fact, I was thinking of reviewing some old Moon Knight and Captain America.

If you can, you might want to try to post some pictures or scans - since most people probably won't have read the issue.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home