'Meister's Musings: Batman: Thrillkiller TPB and Action Figure


After waiting months and months since the release of the Batman: Thrillkiller action figure, Thrillkiller is finally traded. Since I collect action figures of Batman, I had to buy it when Elseworlds Series 1 came out; since I like to know where the versions come from, I had to try to track down the issues. Was it worth it? Read on. Reviewed are both the TPB and the action figure that made me buy it in the first place.

Batman: Thrillkiller TPB

Batman: Thrillkiller is an Elseworlds story set in 1961 and ’62 in Gotham. The summer of ’61 sees a ‘dynamic duo’ take the streets: Batgirl and Robin, who are trying to clean up the ridiculously corrupt GCPD. Detective Bruce Wayne is assigned to bring in both the Bat-guys and the bad-guys, in this case meaning the corrupt policemen. Bruce is, of course, his usually goody-two-shoes self, and foolishly doesn’t accept bribes. Wotta loser.

Anywho, hijinx ensue, Bruce gets involved more and more, and eventually he even becomes Batman. Why? I ain’t tellin’. Read it yourself if you wanna know. Is it worth reading? Yeah, I suppose. Is it worth buying? Probably not. Here’s why:

Art: 8/10

The art in Thrillkiller is both great and kinda crappy, all at the same time. It’s a very painted look (probably because it was painted, though you can never be sure...), though not necessarily the cleanest. And yet sometimes the art is great: faces here and there will look as realistic and expressive as any of Alex Ross’ work, but sometimes it just looks clunky and the faces are just…ugly. Brereton’s style is certainly unique, and it does work for the most part; the gaudy colors all pop, the action is clear enough to follow; and yet sometimes, particularly with Robin, the characters just don’t look too good. Their faces are distorted, their lips like Angelina Jolie but worse; kinda weird on that front.

Story: 7/10

The story itself is OK. Maybe even pretty good. But I wouldn’t classify Thrillkiller as a must-read among Bat-stories. As an Elseworld it isn’t too bad, as the concept of Batgirl and Robin inspiring Bruce is rather interesting; however, beyond the 3 issues of the main story, there’s also Thrillkiller ’62, which is really just an excuse to throw in as many cameos of as many characters as possible. Overall the story is relatively gripping, and you really do get a sense of Gotham’s corruption; it just isn’t among Batman’s most memorable adventures. The three-issue series itself is quite decent, but Thrillkiller '62, which is really when Batman comes into play, is almost a chore to read.

Overall: 7/10

I would recommend reading Thrillkiller if you’re a fan of Batman or especially of Batgirl. I’m just not sure if I would recommend shelling out 15 bucks for it. Everything is pretty good overall, but there are enough flaws to bring the total score down a bit, and aside from a decent plot, there isn’t a whole heckuva lot of other stuff going for it. Borrow it, enjoy it, but don’t expect another Long Halloween or DKR (assuming, of course, DKR isn’t the Antichrist in your eyes.)

Ooh, but there’s more: the action figures!

Batman: Thrillkiller Action Figure

DC Direct’s Elseworlds Series 1 contained 2 Thrillkiller figures: Batman and Batgirl. Of all of the Batman figures I have, this is one of the coolest, particularly now that I have the source material it comes from. I don't have Batgirl, though that one looks pretty cool. So, quick review of good ol' Bats:

Sculpt: 9/10

DC Direct is phenomenally good at capturing artists’ individual styles in the action figures they produce. The Tim Sale Long Halloween figure looks exactly like it stepped out of the page; Thrillkiller Batman is really no different.

Following the blocky, square style of Brereton’s painted work, the figure has the stocky physique Detective Bruce Wayne has in the comic. The head is particularly well-sculpted, as everything down to the little eyebrows on Batman’s mask look like a 3D version of Brereton’s art. DC Direct has yet to disappoint me on that front. The rest of the figure is also pretty cool: far from being just a boring, dull black, Batman’s dubiously-long gloves and boots are all nice ‘n shiny. Great for entertaining simple people like myself if you have a flashlight nearby. Much like the only dancing hooker in Vegas, Bats is ‘very twinkly, very sparkly, like a holiday.’ Good fun to be had by all.

Posability: DC Direct/10

Do I really need to give this one a score? It’s DC Direct. Of course the posability sucks. This isn’t usually a problem, as DC Direct figures are really more like small statues, but in Batman’s case he has problems standing on his base. It’s not too big of a deal, but don’t expect him to compete with your Marvel Legends figures. The only one he’d be whupping would be X-23.

This really is a pretty good figure, though. If you’re obsessed with Batman like me, add him to your collection; if you like shiny boots, add him to your collection; if you like having artists’ work in 3D, add him to your collection; if you like posability, run like Hell.

Well, that’s it for this installment of ‘Meister’s Musings. Never hesitate to drop me a line here or at aswindle@gmail.com and I’ll happily reply to anything you have to say. And if you didn’t notice my banner, all of my posts are archived at meistersmusings.blogspot.com, so if you want to feel better about your own writing talents, go have a laugh at my expense. Should be fun. ‘Till next time, folks!

3 Comments:

Blogger ULI/KFP said...

He sure is shiny! I passed on this figure, but I'm really looking forward to Elseworlds Series 2: Red Son Batman!

I agree, though, that with certain figures, I appreciate them more if I've read the source material - especially with DC Direct, since they emphasize artistic fidelity over articulation.

Never read Thrillkiller either.

Good review!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Almeister112 said...

I'm anxiously awaiting Elseworlds Series 2, as well. I've got most of them preordered at my LCS already, since I absolutely loved Red Son and, as such, I have to buy all of the figures from it, especially Bats and General Superman.

What was wrong with the second ending?

SPOILERS!!!




Was it that Bruce adopted Roy Harper? I thought that was a neat touch. Was it that Harley was still running amok? I didn't see anything wrong with that, either. What was the problem?




END SPOILERS

10:28 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Your scores seemed higher than they should have sounded, for the TPB. Anyways, I might check this out. Not sure. Elseworlds only go so far for me.

But that is a pretty fig. Red? Interesting... beats the "day glow, can you see me now?" yellow of the more canon version.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home